Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The NDP leadership race and my son Ben

My son Ben has joined the NDP at age 13.   He is interested in learning about politics and the political system and wants to have a say and therefore I encouraged him to join one of the parties for the leadership race, he went with the NDP.

Personally I have become a libertarian-lite in my politics over the last fifteen years or so years.  I know I have very strong political opinions and express them loudly but I would prefer my sons to make up their own minds and come to their political views through their own process and not because they think they should agree with me.   I have no problem with any of them joining any party they want, though there are some that if they where choose them I would wonder about their general intelligence and sense of fairness.

Ben has 90 days now to learn enough about the candidates for him to make an informed decision.  I am certain he will be able to do it.   He comes at this with an open mind and a willingness to learn.   As he learns more in the process, I will post what he is doing, I might even have him post his thoughts on the candidates as he goes along.

For you NDP campaigns out there, Ben can be reached at ben@shama.ca and 250-298-7501.   He is the sort of person that if believes in something he will take action and volunteer.

No comments: