Saturday, October 25, 2008

Brossard - La Prairie

WOW that is all I can say. The result was overturned by the recount and the Liberals pick up a seat.

The recount happened and there were almost 170 less votes for the Bloc after the recount. The Liberal vote only changed by 3 votes. The change was almost 0.3% of the vote. That is a stunning change. I am not sure what is going on. I thought at first it might have something to do with the very high number of rejected ballots in the riding, 572 or about 1% but the recount only reduced that by 9 votes.

To me this says something not kosher was going on during the count. This should call for some investigation.

In looking at this result I was really surprised by the high number of rejected ballots. It is rare to see more than 0.5% of the ballots be rejected and I expect it to be as a low as 0.2% of the vote. In Quebec, and it seems to be only in Quebec, the rejected ballots are in the 1% to 2% range, or about four to five times as high as I would have expected. I have no idea what is going on there.

No comments: