Friday, September 7, 2012

BC Conservative Infighting

Where do I begin with this one?    I am torn by my love of good political entertainment and dislike of people acting in a criminally stupid way.  

What I had been hearing as rumours for about two months now is now out in the media, there is a faction that actually wants to remove John Cummins as leader of the BC Conservative Party.  

Things have not looked nearly as rosy for the BC Conservatives since they not only lost the Chilliwack-Hope by-election but came third.  The party should have been able to win that one, if you can not win one of the most conservative ridings in BC in a by-election when you have an MLA that crossed the floor and a leader that the media pays attention to, when can you win?  In many ways the BC Conservatives peaked in March of this year and has since begun to decline.

Three weeks ago I had honestly thought what was going on was incompetence, but it seems like I was wrong.   Vice President Ben Besler, MLA John Van Dongen and board members Milan Kljajic and James Ram are clearly out to remove John Cummins.   Do any of these people have any understanding of how politics works?   Do they understand how stupid they are acting?

If people had a problem with Cummins, they should have shut their mouths, worked hard in the election and then deposed him next June.    Doing anything now is the height of political stupidity.  The last 16 months is the first time in the last 15 years that there has been a serious party to the right of the Liberals in BC.   They are clearly no longer serious.

As to people saying that John Cummins has not had an impact on the popularity of the party only needs to look at the polls.   Before John Cummins become leader the party was running at 7% in the polls +-2 percentage points.   Since has has been leader the party has either been in the mid teens or the low 20s depending which set of pollsters you think has the right methodology.   The party has more than double in support since John Cummins has been leader.

Before John Cummins was leader the BC Conservatives they got very little media attention.  In fact in early 2010 when I was pointing the potential rise of the BC Conservatives there few out there that took the idea seriously.

What will all this infighting do?   It is going make the media not take the party seriously as an electoral force, any coverage is going to make everyone involved look worse.  It is going to ensure people are going to leave the party and not join the party.  It is also going ensure that fundraising is going to dry up.  The political stupidity displayed so far should ensure that the BC Conservatives will not win seats in May and be functionally ignored by the media.

Let us say John Cummins is deposed, who would replace him?   There is no one of any political stature that would step up and take on the role - and if you suggest John Van Dongen, I am of the opinion that he is just another Graham Lea, the last Conservative MLA in BC.  No one wanted the job before Cummins had it and there is no serious person out there that wants it now.

I am curious to see what comes of the meeting tomorrow here in Victoria, not because the BC Conservatives will become a relevant force in the next election, but because it is politically entertaining.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an email sent from John Cummins’ daughter Carolyn to the BC Conservative’s vice president Ben Besler:

***********@gmail.com
Sep 6 (3 days ago)

Ben,
It has been an honor to view your humble opinion regarded the membership votes. I must say your tone sure has changed since I sat with you at the christmas party last year.
A year ago you came across as young, inexperienced, and incompetent. I now know my theory to be accurate.

I vote YES to you getting the boot from your position. You speak of respect, now respect your fellow conservative members loyalty to their party. Your “valued” opinion (although entitled) is meaningless and frankly unwarranted, now wanted. You do not speak for all. You speak for yourself and for the even more idiotic john Crocock.

Further please refrain from making such rash comments online. You sound like an imbecile. And make a fool of yourself.

Regards,
Carolyn Cummins

It’s completely inappropriate and viciously low for Cummins’ immediate family to personally assault BC Conservative members using words like“imbecile” especially one who is “the activist parent of an autistic child in the public school system”  Bens number is +1 (604) 991-8094

Dane said...

Mr. Schulman
I am in 100% agreement with your comments re: this attempt at political suicide. I have a niggling feeling regarding Mr. Van Dongen. I am underwhelmed with a man that mysteriously develops a conscience when his party is nose diving, and that is precisely what the liberals are doing. So he jumps ship and wants to usurp Mr. Cummins does he? Well Mr Van Dongen if you were in my riding (and I am a staunch conservative) there is nothing you could do to get me to cast my vote in your direction. I am sick and tired of political opportunists switching parties (ideologies) when the going gets tough. Stronach being my all time favorite.... Well played Belinda :-). One huge mistake the BC Conservatives did was to accept him into the fold. The man is a died in the wool BC Liberal and people know that. This doesn't do us one whit of good and has likely caused us irreparable damage. The election looms and a select cadre of fools think now is the time for a new leader. I'm afraid the fools have damned us to the NDP.... heaven help us. Johns daughter sending this poison email isn't helping either. If she has a problem with dear old dad she should deal that within their family.

Dane said...

Mr. Schulman
I am in 100% agreement with your comments re: this attempt at political suicide. I have a niggling feeling regarding Mr. Van Dongen. I am underwhelmed with a man that mysteriously develops a conscience when his party is nose diving, and that is precisely what the liberals are doing. So he jumps ship and wants to usurp Mr. Cummins does he? Well Mr Van Dongen if you were in my riding (and I am a staunch conservative) there is nothing you could do to get me to cast my vote in your direction. I am sick and tired of political opportunists switching parties (ideologies) when the going gets tough. Stronach being my all time favorite.... Well played Belinda :-). One huge mistake the BC Conservatives did was to accept him into the fold. The man is a died in the wool BC Liberal and people know that. This doesn't do us one whit of good and has likely caused us irreparable damage. The election looms and a select cadre of fools think now is the time for a new leader. I'm afraid the fools have damned us to the NDP.... heaven help us. Johns daughter sending this poison email isn't helping either. If she has a problem with dear old dad she should deal that within their family.

Anonymous said...

Von Schulmann......Von Dongen
Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

Dane said...

And there you have it .... as I suspected Van Dongen is an opportunistic snake in the grass. Well good riddance and I hope I never hear your name again. Now let's get on with getting the word out and winning the election.!!!!