Monday, May 11, 2009

Over 10% of registered voters voted in the advance poll

The total advance poll was 297 201 people out of 2 948 175 registered voters. Htat works out to 10.1% of the voters. This is a significant increase from the past, but there has been a lot more encouragement of people to advance vote, really it is almost like five days of voting now.

I have no idea if this is going to have any significant impact on the turn out on voting day. I suspect it is going to have limited or no impact.


Some observations:

Saanich South, this is supposed to be a tight race, but fewer people than average went to the advance poll here. Only 9% advance voted.

In Saanich North and the Islands the advance vote was 15.3% and this is in a riding that is not in play in this election. This was the second best turn out in the province, assuming I made no math errors. The top was Boundary Similkameen at 15.4%.

Turnout in the Burnaby and Tri-City ridings is all below average. I thought it would be higher in that area as this is the battleground. I can not be certain, but low advance in a tight race says to me that government will do better.

No comments: